Monday, June 8, 2015

One Handed Gardening

I love flowers and I love the fantasy of having a wonderful garden where one can wander about the paths and lanes created artistically to keep the fantasy of a nature wonderland alive.
Crashing to earth, the reality is a lot of hard work to get just a fraction of the fantasy.  This year we experienced an outbreak of dandelions as I have never seen before.  Virtually one half of my acre of lawn was yellow with the noxious weed.  I have used Curtail, I have used the dandelion bar, I have cut and plucked, pulled and cursed but now I have a field of fluff exploding and seeding for another horrific year.
On the greenhouse side of my fantasy I have learned that you can steam the plants until they literally cook in the clear plastic covers you put on the pots.  Where do you draw the line between encouraging sprouting and cooking?  Somewhere around midnight perhaps?  The truth is very simple, while gardening can be fun and exciting it is also a very demanding hobby in that one must be attentive at all times.  Gardening on a serious (as “in retirement”) scale is pretty much a full time job.
Let’s not forget watering which is HUGE, simply huge, in gardening.  Hoses, many hoses, are required to handle nearly 3 acres of garden plots.  Not that all 3 acres are planted, but the surrounds are.  Hence the hose.  Water jugs are good also, useful in tight places.
An extra pair of hands, weed whackers, lawn mowers, spades, shovels, rakes, and lots of toweling required.  Toweling, you may wonder, until you have seen my face after wiping the sweat from my brow and upper lip.  When my brother sees me he does the Nazi salute because I am inevitably wearing a Hitler mustache in dirt!
But I am having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment