Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Seeing through the Mist


The most fortunate are those who have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again, freshly and naively, the basic goods of life, with awe, pleasure, wonder and even ecstasy.” ― Abraham Maslow
 

The above quote was given in one of the recent meditations by Oprah & Deepak. It resonated with me since this is what I was attempting to say about myself in my last blog. The capacity to appreciate is a gift and not something that one somehow develops, at least that is how it seems to me. Although I cannot say that I have ever experienced ecstasy in nature I have very much felt the other 3 sensations of awe, pleasure and wonder and all with the added zest of humour. 
I had a lovely lunch with some ladies that I do not see as often as I would like but this visit brought back to me how very powerful socialization is in order for one to keep their mind in perfect balance. Relating to others in a meaningful way is so rewarding and enriching and a long dismal winter can sometimes deprive us of our social contacts (most especially when we are retired and no longer going to work, seeing folks on the bus or train and then interacting in the workplace). I wonder if others who are retired have experienced this awakening to the value of their social circle? I truly hope that all my friends and readers have absorbed my advice with respect to the 6 pieces of the retirement pie. I didn’t invent this criteria but found it during my early research and have found it very valuable and in fact TRUE WISDOM.
Staying grateful somehow just makes everything more positive and endurable. Having wonderful people around one (physically and through media) is a bonus that never goes stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment