Friday, May 3, 2019

Disasters in the Kitchen


I don’t do a lot of cooking since my mother moved in some 6 years ago but once upon a time I was pretty handy around the kitchen. Lately when I have had to be the chef I have had varied success even when it comes to my baking. I’ve lost my groove. Last night I put a frozen “chicken wellington” in the oven, following the instructions and was terribly disappointed with the result. First of all it was burnt but worse yet the inside was as dry as cement. It was ghastly and I am appalled that I have 3 more of those suckers to cook. I’ve decided to lower the heat, reduce the cooking time and also wrap it in tinfoil when next I venture on making one of them. And hey, that was a pre-made meal!
I have never been very good at frying any kind of meat and Mom isn’t very good at it either so we usually get John to fry a steak (not that we have that often as Mom and I are not very fond of steak either). When it comes to chicken I prefer to grill them which usually turns out well. The only meat I actually do really well is roasting a chicken or roast beef. I also make a very good salmon.
I am starting to sound an awful lot like my mother; I have little appetite for big meals and even less for meat. I’m what you might call a picaterian!

No comments:

Post a Comment