Monday, May 6, 2019

Gardening is Worth It


Some folks may ask if it is worthwhile to garden when it comes to the price of tomatoes. Well, yes, it is worth it if only for the therapeutic factor. However a strong second motivation is that you know how your vegetables and fruit are being grown with healthy nutrients and good water. I actually use a lot of rainwater on my plants once the barrel fills up with the spring rains and I believe it has a lot of benefits rather than the well water I use at other times of the year.  I use Miracle Gro on my plants as well although I am looking for alternatives.
Composting has not been a great success with me, in fact quite the reverse. I think it is mostly me not doing it correctly but I find it is a real challenge to keep the weeds out despite coverings. If the coverings are in the stuff doesn’t get enough moisture, if I leave it uncovered wild seeds tend to find their way into the stuff. So while it would be perfect for nourishing my plants I haven’t been able to do anything with my mess. I am thinking of going smaller with a small compost pot to see how that works out but thinking and action are not the same thing!
I am hopeful that this week will see a turnaround in the miserable weather we have been experiencing. I have just been out sitting on the lido deck and then I took a wander around the yard and the ground feels promising so I plan to finish drinking my water and then going out to do a little raking. I may even discover that the rhubarb is starting to come up. Wouldn’t that be nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment