Thursday, May 2, 2019

Henrietta-Penguina


When hens get egg bound (that means an eggs has become stuck going through her system) they will begin to waddle and also they will tilt so that they walk more like a penguin than a hen. In the past I had tried to save them by bathing them in Epsom salts but I never saved a single one. Then I had a year or two where my hens were doing well and didn’t have the problem but now I have had 6 or 7 hens die one after another due to this egg bound problem.
I got on the computer again to see if there was anything new that might make a difference and I found a video where the lady bathed the hen for several days but in conjunction with that she gave the hen crushed calcium pills on the food. Suddenly I realized that my hens were lacking calcium so John went out to buy oyster shells (something that I used to have on hand but hadn’t been using in recent years). I have one little Penguina who is being kept apart while I nurse her with the new formula. She is really quite adorable, she peeps all the time as though she is trying to tell me what her situation is. She is pretty docile and doesn’t fight with me so I am feeling hopeful that maybe, just maybe, this time I may save a dear little Henrietta!
I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment