Friday, July 12, 2019

Blushing Repetition


Despite my so-called sabbatical I will admit that my themes certainly hit the same targets (am I mixing metaphors)!
A little while ago I used the phrase “there is nothing new under the sun” and my sister immediately jumped to refute it. The quote originates in Ecclesiastes 1:9 which says
“The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”
I have discussed before the concept of infinity, the universe, spirituality and how all questions seem to have been addressed from the earliest days of recorded human history. Yes we have new inventions all the time but my understanding is that anything the human mind conceives is somehow paralleled in the natural universe (I may be wrong, but I don’t think so, quoting Mr. Monk). When people come up with ideas, fantastic ideas, it is great. But one can argue that others may have thought of these ideas anytime, anywhere but because they aren’t famous who knows about them?
What I was trying to get across at the time, and today as my excuse for repeating myself, is that there are recurring themes in philosophy or in discussions (in any realm). When one reads a lot it isn’t long before “there is nothing new under the sun”.  One can refer to an analysis of fiction that posits the idea that there are only 7 basic plots.
The bottom line, for this mea culpa moment is that I am going to repeat myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment