Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Awkward Ages, Goofy Gifts


Do you remember your worst Christmas gift?  Jeanette and I both remember the Christmas in Montreal as our worst Christmas ever.  My gift was gross green ski pants (when everyone was wearing bell bottoms).  Jeanette was 14 and got a toy sewing machine.  What were my parents thinking?  They panicked and shopped on Christmas Eve and simply grabbed the first thing they saw.  My father had been working very long hours and had no time to shop so presto!  thoughtless gifts.

            I tried to swallow my disappointment but it was hard.  That year or two between being a child and a teenager was difficult.  My parents simply didn’t think how we would react.  I think Jeanette was scarred for life!  All I know is that it didn’t happen again.  I think part of the solution was that my parents started to give us Christmas money to buy gifts for the other kids which added to the fun.  I could make $10.00 stretch like nobody’s business.  I remember getting my brothers comic books and those TV books (I think Peter still has F-Troop and I still have Mod Squad) and getting Evening in Paris perfume for my mother.  Dad usually got cigarettes or a bic lighter (in those days a pack of cigarettes was 35 cents).  Jeanette got bubble bath or mittens or a toque.  Often the kids would get some type of boxed game or a deck of cards.  One year I bought my dad a broom and tied licorice sticks on it.

            When I started earning my own money I started doing the Boxing Day sales and I would shop in January for good sales.  Yes, for Christmas gifts for the family.  I always had a stash of gifts in my closet and sometimes I even forgot what I had bought for them.  It was so much fun finding a “deal”.  Who doesn’t love a good deal?  A couple of years ago I found those little knit gloves for 39 cents.  Who can say no to that.  I bought them all!  Surprise Book Club.

            A couple of weeks ago a survey said that 44.6% of kids between the ages of 6 and 12 wanted an iPad.  Good heavens!  I would never have dreamed of asking my parents for a gift that cost $100 – or even $50.00.  In fact, I don’t know that we ever actually “asked” for anything.  My mother was pretty observant and would notice what we were looking at in the store.  The thing was that very early in life we had been told in no uncertain terms not to plague her (yes, plague her – in Danish).  “Ikke plagge mig” she would say and if we dared asking for Oreo cookies in the grocery store there would be a whack on the ear or a slap across our legs.  No, we did not ask for anything in the store. When we went to the Woolworth I would make a beeline for the doll department.  The doll department was a row of dolls laying  neatly in a bin (in those days there weren’t the kind of shelves we see today).  If I had seen a ToysRUs store I would have thought I was dreaming.  There were maybe 20 dolls or so laid out.  I never strayed very far from the dolls so needless to say I got a lot of dolls when I was a kid.

            My mother often sent us a game and the day of Christmas Eve we often played Monopoly or Ludo.  These days my nephew Christopher is our Games Master and we are forced, yes forced, to play games as part of the Christmas entertainment.  It is actually fun to see him organize us and sit there like the little teacher he is while he instructs us in the latest game.  “Things” is the latest game he has brought around and that is a lot of fun.  Also “Apples to Apples” (I think that’s the name) is quite fun.  Just a hint in case you are a games person!

            11 more sleeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment