Monday, December 19, 2011

Card Giving

I love stationery, in fact I am addicted to lovely notepaper and always have been.  From the time I was able to afford buying little boxed notecards I have always held one back as my “collection”.  Two years ago we got a little shop downtown called “Papyrus” and oh my goodness, I love to go in that shop during the holidays.  I have to hold back from buying boxes of cards so I strictly go in “just to look around”.  There are so many pretty cards to choose from but I only allow myself to buy one box to send out to my family and friends.
            Yes, I am still old fashioned enough to spend a weekend addressing the envelopes and then settling down to write a personal note in each card.  Some of my friends get an inserted letter along with the card because we only write to each other once a year.  I am lucky enough to get letters back from them.  When I think about it I realize that it is the type of relationship that existed for many immigrant families or pioneer families that moved away from home to settle elsewhere.  Frequently, in fact most often, these people never saw their home place again, nor the folks they left behind. 
            I can wax nostalgic sometimes and lament  how we have moved forward in the world but some things really do make our lives wonderful.  Having internet, electronic mail, skype and long distance telephoning that is affordable is incredible.  Having an economy that can allow people to travel is also wonderful.  When I think of my mother travelling over the ocean, leaving her parents and siblings behind, some of whom she would never see again, well, I just think that I am pretty lucky to be able to see my mother whenever I want to.
            This weekend my sister came over and handed me a card.  When I opened it up I had to laugh, she had enclosed a picture of her puppy dressed up as a reindeer.  She had made it herself using her camera, computer and printer.  Electronics can be terrific things but I still love Papyrus! 

This pinecone is the one I picked for this year.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment