Sunday, December 11, 2011

December Marches Along

Yesterday the Book Club had brunch at the Danish Canadian Club which is rather a tradition with us.  I do love December for all the traditions that belong to this very social month.  It is true there are still crabby people in malls and parking lots but there are also a lot of friendly people who are more polite than they otherwise might be.  There are more smiles in the aisles of the stores, particularly if you are there early, before the crowds start to make one impatient.
            This year I have noticed how very sad the live trees, plants and wreaths are however.  I don’t know why they all look so dried up and have done for a couple of weeks already.  Lesson learned, don’t start the process quite so early folks.  I’ve been looking at the live wreaths because I thought it would be perfect in the sunroom but they already look shrivelled up so what is the point, may as well have artificial.
            Do you have traditions in your family, over and above the regular ones, like putting the child-made ornaments at the back of the tree?  Baking, wrapping, and so on?  We have our Danish traditions and let me tell you it was a shock to discover how few families in Denmark dance around their trees anymore!  What, no dancing around the tree and singing those terrible Danish carols?  I looked reproachfully at my mother with raised eyebrows.  But we still have to sing the song about not touching “that raisin”.  It never made sense to me even as a child but it was necessary to complete my parents’ happiness!  I have my special ornaments that have to be placed here and there whether anyone will see them besides myself or not.  I have tried to be brave and not decorate at all but I simply find it too boring not to have some things up. 
            We never had outdoor lights at our house.  My father was never a handyman so this was one thing he felt he could forego without too much excusing. It wasn’t Danish, end of story.  Having tried to put lights up myself I mentally say “it’s not Danish”.  The truth is it is a pain in the gazoo to put them up!  With the wind whistling down from the mountains it is also rather lethal.  I heard them clanking against the side of the house and thought “what a waste of money” as they all smashed to bits.  Bye, bye, artificial lights.  When the children were little we would have a few live candles on the tree for the little while as we danced around the tree, quickly put out after the dancing to ensure that the house didn’t go up in flames.  But we kids loved it, and later the grand kids loved it too.  Candles are part of Christmas.
            At the Danish Canadian Club I noticed that they had the traditional candelabra but they had those little solar lights instead of live candles.  I thought, what a good idea, in a restaurant.  But this afternoon when I have my afternoon tea I will be putting on the advent lights as I settle down to finish my card writing. 
            “It’s tradition.”

No comments:

Post a Comment