Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tragedy in Small Town

We had a terrible shock this morning when the small town next to ours had a triple murder and suicide.  Happenings like this are rare in small towns and Claresholm has never had anything like it.  Naturally the town was all abuzz with this terrible tragedy.  I had a considerable shock when the story escalated from an “accident on the highway north of Claresholm” to “suicide and murder”.  Since I know a number of people in the community I was terribly worried until the evening news when they said the victims were not from the town.
            I always feel terrible when I hear the story of a sudden death at any time of the year but when it is close to Christmas I feel especially sad for the families.  Their lives will never be the same but to have it near a joyous holiday is particularly sad.  I have mentioned that my baby sister was born on Christmas Eve so her passing near her birthday is doubly difficult for my mother even 55 years later.  Twelve years ago my father went into the hospital on Christmas Day and passed on New Year’s Eve. 
            It takes some time to overcome the memories but eventually one has to come to grips with the tough stories.  Life is a bumpy road, long, straight strips and then some curves, some potholes, detours and who knows what will meet you along the way.  Not every day can be cheerful, sometimes we are allowed to drink the cup of sorrow, but I hope that we can also look around us and remember there are good people in our lives who can help to make the road a little easier.  Good friends and family, supportive colleagues and neighbours can all help even if it is just to listen and hold your hand and share a cup of tea with you.
            There are also natural sights to make us smile and be happy.  Just a clean dusting of snow on the lawn and the trees; the sun slanting through evergreens where the tiniest birds are feeding; rabbit prints in the snow leading into tall grass; a Christmas card from a cousin far away; the smell of baked cookies coming out of Mom’s oven; a cheery Merry Christmas on the telephone; an old ornament leaning against a picture frame . . .
            There are some sad families in the world today . . . my heart goes out to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment