Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Day 2011

This Christmas Day was unusual.  For one thing we had one of our rare brown Christmases when the temperature was in the double digits – on the plus side.  Today I spent the day at my brother’s house and we had a seafood lunch, again unusual.  Not the usual leftover duck from Christmas Eve.
            And this morning my mother was at my house having breakfast with me!  That was such a nice treat for me.  I could give her breakfast in bed, only she wanted it in the dining room so that’s what we did.  We had a leisurely breakfast and a wonderful talk about the evening before and then about this and that.  We was nice and cozy.  Then she watched me open all the gifts that I save for my Christmas morning.  These are all the gifts that I saved from all my Canadian friends.  This is a little tradition that I made for myself since I celebrated Christmas Day in my own home.
            Later Erik and I drove Mom home to John’s and on the drive she told some funny stories about herself.  First she told us how she was teasing John about how slowly she ate her box of Gajol licorice until she only had one left.  Then as she readied for bed she ate her various pills one by one, with a little sip of water.  Then she picked up the Gajol and took a sip of water and whip, down the throat it slid until she realized “my last licorice”!  And she let out a little yelp and John called from the living room “what happened?” and she came out looking foolish.
            “I just swallowed my licorice like a pill.”
            She laughed and said she wanted to regurgitate it!
            Then she said when she was down visiting Jeanette she had written all her Christmas cards and on the drive to get the stamps Jeanette pointed out where the mailbox was situated close to her house.  Mom said “that is a strange colour for a mailbox” but Jeanette didn’t  pay attention and just kept chatting away.  They got home, Mom affixed the stamps and decided to go for a breath of fresh air and headed down to the mailbox.  She walked around it, and around it, stood up on the cement block and tried to find the mail shute.  She thought “what a strange mail box”.  Then she stepped back and looked at this grey green box and suddenly she looked into the distance and saw the familiar red mailbox.  Good grief, she thought, I’ve been looking at the wrong thing.  So she posted the mail and got back to the house and told Jeanette what had happened.
            So what was she looking at?  An electrical terminal server.  It was a miracle she didn’t electrocute herself!
            Mom says “at least I can laugh at myself when I am such a fool!”  Oh Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment