Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mood Influencing Thought


There is a real challenge in writing a daily blog (evidence being I have missed days over the last couple of months, here and there).  This morning I pulled out a volume from the office book shelf “Ten Eternal Questions” with the hope of finding something to inspire me to write.  Naturally there are observations in there to which I could respond positively or negatively as the mood strikes me, which thought turned me to my idea for the day.
          Do you ever find yourself being contrary about whatever suggestion is brought forth, just because you are in that sort of mood?  Everyone agrees that it is a beautiful day and the sky is extraordinarily blue and you just have to say “it’s much nicer in Ecuador” or some other idiotic comment?  Do you ever find yourself saying something contrary to whatever you normally would agree with, or perhaps you’ve never thought about the topic, render an opinion that hasn’t been thought out and later having to contradict yourself?
          Extreme examples but I was reading Robert Fisk’s comment on whether the planet would be destroyed and I could tell he was looking at the question from a completely different point of view from the others who had commented on the question.  He thought that the demise of the planet is a question used to frighten people.  Perhaps that is so, but that isn’t actually answering the question, is it?  Then I thought, was he in a mood?  I know for a fact that if my sister raises the topic of Aliens it’s a guaranteed flag for me to move to the opposing ground.  Just because.  It’s become something of a game.
          Today it’s grey and rainy and I am in a mood.  Not negative, not down, but just the kind of mood that would probably disagree with Mom making hot chocolate or soup with 2 kinds of “boller” (meatballs and dumplings).  So next time you are having a conversation, observe yourself to see if you are in “a mood” or if you are simply going with the flow.  Ask yourself “is this really what I believe, or am I being contrary, just because”.  It would be interesting to know how many quotes were genuine or a mood answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment