Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Relaxing

It’s a well known fact that I can relax with the best of them.  I can lounge in a good seat, drink coffee and chat about anything.  In the winter time.  Come the summer and the good weather and it is very hard for me to sit still when there is so much to do outdoors.  I don’t know how to lounge in a lawn chair or hammock when there is grass to cut, dead branches to haul away, flowers to weed, water or plant.  I will sit down for a coffee with Mom on the deck, chat for a few minutes, and something will catch my eye and until it looks right I cannot concentrate.  I have to get at it. 
       So how can a person relax one’s mind?  Meditation they tell us can calm a person’s mind down to a low roar.  There are a variety of ways one may meditate to bring about a state of consciousness in the immediate.  There is also a practice of simply staying quiet, thinking about a certain calming topic and slowly having the mind stay quiet.  By practicing some sort of quiet state, whether you call it meditation, can certainly help with learning to relax.  Relaxing is not a bad thing but it is astonishing to realize that most people have a difficult time with simply being quiet, and Relaxing.  I say this because I observe how frequently people relate how busy their weekend was, their evenings are, or how they squeeze every minute of their vacation into “doing something”. 
       I like to be quiet and there are few things I enjoy more than walking on a nice day, summer or winter and taking in the beauty of the countryside while I think my thoughts.  Next time you are contemplating a trip to the mall, ask yourself if a walk in the park wouldn’t be a better choice.  Slow down, relax, and meditate.  It’s all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment