Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A prisoner of Prison Break

Yes, my mother has me addicted to this show, so much so that I am chained to the sofa every evening for at least 2 installments per night.  Seriously though, would a genius have to tattoo the name of the ship he ordered built, particularly since he named it after his mother?  Would he have to tattoo down the name of the place he was escaping to?  I am pretty darn sure that I would remember the city I was planning on going to considering that I still remember the escape town my dad gave us when I was a mere 14 years old . . . and that is 55 years ago.  So why are I am enthralled with a show that still has so many flaws in it?  I suppose it is the suspense, even though I know they aren’t going to get killed any time soon (there’s still 2 more seasons after all).  But as my mother also mentioned the other day, after a while we get a little sick and tense from anger and apprehension we are feeling as the show progresses.  And this is only fantasy.
       Which brings me to the topic of the day:  it’s one thing to watch or read fantasy, it’s quite something else to watch the real thing.  I am not the best person to make an analysis of people’s fascination with reality because I am one of the very few people who absolutely will NOT rubberneck at an accident scene.  The last thing I want to see is blood or mayhem.  I cannot watch “live” bad behaviour such as displayed on Survivor or like reality shows.  I can’t even watch make believe when they do surgery on Grey’s Anatomy.
       Despite me being a wimp about things like this, can those with a tougher stomach actually understand people who watch what would seem to be live action of a murder?  This I cannot understand.  I am referring to the horrific story that has been unfolding over the last week out of Montreal.  I think they are giving out more than enough information on the radio and as I drive to and from work I ask the radio “do we really need to know so much detail?”.  It’s bad enough that we know about the hand and the foot, but now they are speculating about whether the head is going to show up somewhere.  Honestly, do I really need to have this information?
       I might sound a bit like a Pollyanna, but sometimes I think the details are just (pardon the cliché) over-kill.  The more the media gives us the more it desensitizes the public and I do not think that is a good thing.  I prefer to think of us as civilized.  Tell us a crime has been committed.  Tell us it was horrific.  But leave the details to the courts.  Our imaginations can do enough for us.
       Or am I just sticking my head in the sand?

No comments:

Post a Comment