Monday, February 18, 2013

February Blues

It’s our Family Day today and instead of feeling cheerful I feel tired every time I look out of the window and see the grey skies, patches of snow and vibrating branches which mean the wind is up.  The solution is to close the blinds, turn on all the lights and start baking!  Even my critters are running back inside after sticking their noses out in the frosty air.  I know we are supposed to have an early spring and that this is just a tiny blip but for the moment it feels like we are back in November.
       Now we have all heard of solutions to pull us out of the doldrums and that is exactly what I have done; I hopped on my treadmill and walked for half an hour at a good, rapid pace and it’s true I do feel energized.  But looking at greyness can turn anyone bleak if you look at it long enough.  Hence the “closing the blinds” solution.  But to ensure that it is a true solution the inside needs to look cheerful, homey and welcoming which at the moment my house does not (you will remember I am still in renovation mode that includes losing storage).  However, I chose to look past the piles of books, pillows, pictures and other paraphernalia to see the comforts of home.  It helps a great deal to have a mother who can bake up a storm and serve tea or coffee at the drop of a hat.
       This week we had a lunch and learn topic on stress and the question was asked how can one turn a pessimist into an optimist.  The speaker said it was difficult but it could be done, if the pessimist wanted to make the changes.  I think it is as hard to change one’s outlook as it is to change one’s exercise habits but if you are willing to try, you can do it.  My mother is a bit of a pessimist and it is a challenge for me to get her to look at things from a different point of view but I persevere.  I’m an optimist and I am also the type who does not give up easily, so Mom’s new outlook on life is a challenge I will take on.  As the speaker also said, it’s good to have constant interests to keep each day exciting and new.
       Well spring is around the corner and until it bursts upon us I will be renovating my house and my mother.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment