Saturday, February 9, 2013

Writing and Numbers

I’ve signed up for a publishing course in a few weeks time so now I am under pressure to get back in the writing saddle.  It’s not as though I don’t have a lot of thoughts running through my mind, it’s simply a case of trying to nail down one or two of them and start making a solid story out of them. 
Meanwhile life is running away from me.  I simply look at my calendar and I go “what the heck is going on with the time” as in, “is it really February?  Where did January go?”  As each day trickles into the next I start to feel a bit of panic because, let’s face it, 60 is just around the corner!  Sixty, 60, SIXTY, 60, no matter how you write it . . . that is one big number!  All my life I have been unfazed by age, I’ve never panicked as I turned the decades but I will admit that I feel a lot of trepidation as I approach 60.  This number has always seemed like an old number, even older than 70 although that may seem absurd.  But 60 is definitely stepping over the threshold of late middle age into (gasp) OLD AGE. 
There’s plenty of talk about a certain age being the new younger number.  Like 50 is the new 40 and so on however, a number is a number and an age is an age.  It’s not simply a case of me feeling as though I am still 18 years old in my heart because my reality is that my career is on the downturn.   Recently I actually had someone say to my face “do you mean that you are redundant” because I told him to do it himself.  If you are surprised that he walked away without a limp let’s just say that I am mellowing in my old age.  However, there was evil in my heart and he certainly experienced The Look.  He hasn’t lingered in my doorway since.
Yes, life is galloping away on me and it’s time to seriously consider why I am still working at something that no longer inspires me.  I need to really think about what I want to do that thrills me, excites me and perhaps even make me a little money.  40 years of mundane needs to stop and I need to work on that Boundless Potential I read about recently.
So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment