Friday, February 15, 2013

Latifundium - A Country Estate


Now there is a word you do not hear every day (pronounced lat-ee-fun-dee-um) and it means a large country estate.  To be very honest, until it popped up in my Word of the Day calendar yesterday I had never heard of it but I will enjoy rolling that one out of my mouth when I invite my friends to my latifundium.

       Many city people have the dream of retiring into the countryside but over the last few decades country living has now become more expensive than city living.  Whenever something becomes fashionable the price seems to skyrocket and in the case of country living the trend has been towards acreages with a very large house.  In the olden days a dilapidated farm house was the plan, something to be fixed up and become the retirement hobby; a Green Acres if you will. 

       Country living today is not cheap; grocery store prices are as much as 50% higher than city prices and the smaller the town the less competition there is.  As well, there are fewer alternate stores such as hardware stores, clothing stores, drug stores, etc.  In some towns there aren’t any of these shops at all, only a “convenience store”.  Interestingly enough even in these tiny villages there manages to be a liquor store which can only mean that this is always a store that can survive a small population.  Entertainment is limited to hockey, curling and school plays.  I’m not quite sure what the entertainment is in the summertime because there is nothing in town.

       Now you are asking “so what is the appeal of country living”?  Entertainment doesn’t have to be organized within buildings (i.e. movies, clubs, etc.).  Instead there is all the pleasure of the outdoors, be it simply in sitting in wide open spaces, developing gardens, virtual farming, or enjoying the peace and quiet of no traffic by road or air.  When I am visiting over night in the city my senses are always a little shocked by all the night noises that never, ever recede.  When you live in the city you become accustomed to those sounds to the point of not even hearing them (I was once a city dweller myself) but for someone who has lived for more than 30 years in the country it is really distracting.  What wakes me on a summer morning is the sound of birds tweeting and sometimes I will hear birds hopping on my roof.

       Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment