Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day for this Single Girl


I happen to be reading a very funny book called “How to be Single” by Liz Tuccillo (who also coauthored “He’s Just Not That Into You” and wrote for Sex and the City).  There are many laugh out loud moments in the book but there are also some very sad segments.  So on this day for lovers I ask the question, where is communication in your relationship?  If you are not satisfied with how things are in the relationship do you tell your partner or do you keep it to yourself?
       In the book one of the women is completely blindsided when her soon-to-be ex-husband tells her that he’s been unhappy in the marriage for 5 years.  Really, and he never once bothered to tell her things were going sour?  Okay, so she took him for granted, okay so there was no sex for 5 years.  Since when do you wait 5 years before you tell someone that this is not working for you?  I’m really sorry but what kind of jerk sulks around for that long and then runs off with a Brazilian samba dancer and only after the fact says, oh by the way, I’ve been unhappy for 5 years? 
       It seems to me that Valentine’s Day becomes more commercial every year or maybe I just seem to notice it more these days.  But the commercials, the TV shows, even the talk shows all seem to blow Valentine’s Day into this huge, momentous day.  That bothers me not just because I am single, but I wonder why this day is so valued when Remembrance Day gets shoved aside?  In one way we see people flag waving like mad to get our boys overseas and yet on the day when we ought to be honouring them we barely get a half day off (and how many companies shove this day into a corner so they can take an extra day at Christmas – seriously?)  That’s right, Remembrance Day isn’t “commercial”, after all death is not really saleable except as it relates to dying like a hero.
       Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to have a special day for lovers, and I like roses, chocolates and diamonds as much as the next girl, but honestly, let’s try to keep things in proportion.  It’s not the end of the world if your honey misses the day! 
       My last advice – talk, talk, talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment