Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mother Gets a Makeover

The first thing we do is cut back on the daily news hour programs.  Then I tell her to focus on the positive side of any story she reads in the mini-newspaper she gets during the week.  I bring home educational magazines and leave them strategically around the house so that she might venture to pick them up despite not being 20 year old Danish magazines.  I venture to mention some of the nuggets that I have found inspirational in various books, shows and magazines. 
       Giving my mother a positive makeover is a super challenge since she can get stubborn all of a sudden.  One minute she is a compliant little girl and the next WHAM! baby monster is born again.  Last night we were talking about religion and being sensibly philosophical when suddenly she had me giggling and then roaring with laughter.  As we talked about life after death she reminded me about an event that occurred some years ago.  She woke up very suddenly to feel absolutely ice cold with her teeth chattering so hard they were almost breaking.  She looked me in the eye and said very matter of factly “I may have been dead”.  Like this happens to her every day.  I nearly choked on my meat and then couldn’t stop laughing. 
       I can be as philosophical or as dogmatic as I like but the truth is my mother continues to amaze me.  No matter how pessimistic she might be she still has a great sense of humour.  If you have humour you really do see the bright side of things.
A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves."
Harvey Mackay

No comments:

Post a Comment