Thursday, February 20, 2014

Funny Parents


It has really been a delight and a revelation to live with my mother over these last 2 years.  Growing up my father was such a large personality that my mother really lived in his shadow to the point that she almost disappeared.  At the same time all of us children relied on Mom for everything and if she wasn’t home when we got home it was terribly traumatic.  If we needed something done, if we wanted something found, it was to Mom we would go.   

But at the dinner table it was Father who had centre stage and we would hang on his every word as high entertainment.  While it isn’t a surprise to see my mother’s sense of humour, it is surprising to find her laughing at herself over all her silly mistakes and quirks which are definitely developing rapidly in her old age.  Reflecting again about yesterday and her crazy mistake at identifying an apple core as a candle I chuckle.  Back in the day I am not really sure she would have laughed although I do remember her taking it with good humour when we all laughed at her for bundling up, putting on skates for the first time and then skating on an ice patch the size of a quarter, all the time holding a broom to keep her balance.  After all the time it took her to get dressed and out the door, she was on the ice a matter of 12 seconds.  We laughed for days at that one.

Reflecting on my parents and the way I was raised truly makes me appreciate my childhood.  I have so many good memories of my parents that I feel truly blessed.  Even the spankings have their humorous side after Mom admitted she would stand at the closed door after a spanking and listen to my sister and I giggle as we asked “did it hurt”?  The truth is my mother wouldn’t hurt a fly much less her children.

I hope you had a similar childhood that can make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment