Friday, February 14, 2014

Oh Valentine, Oh Valentine

I remember my first Valentine’s Day.  I was seven years old and my dad gave me a 50 cent piece to buy a bunch of candy to take to school.  I had no idea what Valentine’s Day was all about and neither did my parents!  Presumably we had some sort of Valentine’s celebration in kindergarten and Grade One but I don’t remember.  What I do remember was being new to the school and not getting any cards. 
            It’s a terrible thing to leave children out and in those days parents and teachers didn’t think very much about fairness.  Today it would be considered a sign of harassment, if one child didn’t get any cards.  Back then, that’s just the way it was.  I suppose that’s why I have never been a big fan of Valentine’s Day.  Today I find the advertising is really over the top, even the TV stations have hearts on their logos. 
            I do have some good memories of Valentine’s though.  I remember one year my father bought my mother a huge box of chocolates shaped like a heart and made up of pink satin ribbons and little pearls.  It was really a gorgeous box and when the candy was all gone my mother gave the box to me.  For years I used it for my jewelry box until I got an official one from my grandma.  Eventually I think I cut it up to make a hat for my Barbie doll.
            I’m sentimental about a lot of things but this is not one of the days I really get all mushy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment