Thursday, February 13, 2014

New Rules and other Nonsense


The other day I was standing at the counter in the doctor’s office for the third time in as many weeks and for the second time the receptionist said I needed to be weighed and measured.  I told her I still remembered what I weighed and how high I was from the week before but she said she would have to do it again and this time she would write it down.  Naturally I was still 5 foot 6 inches but despite fasting for my blood work I was a frightful 3 pounds heavier than the previous week.  How was that even possible? 

Some of the rules now in place with the health care system is really ridiculous.  The ladies in the medical clinic that I go to have known me for 30 years and yet they have to ask for my health card every time I come in.  Now they have to weigh and measure you ever time you come in.  What do they think is going to happen between visit?  Am I going to morph into an alien, an out-of-towner, or what?  Is someone going to have plastic surgery and look like me and have a dubious doctor’s visit in my stead?  Sure I can understand for a first time visitor, but what is the purpose of identifying someone you actually know?  I’m living in a small town where everyone knows everyone, in fact they know a whole lot more about a person than is seemly, in my opinion.

And that’s another thing now that I’m on the subject.  After attending at the hospital the other day for my lab work I thought I would just slip into my bank to hand in some paperwork since I was in town.  There were two cashiers open and two customers at their counter so I was next in line.  The one customer was there with her son and was obviously trying to straighten out some mess he had made in his account.  Great, I knew that was going to be a while.  The other lady seemed to conducting ordinary business but minute after minute went by and I was leaning against a counter, favouring my aching leg and wondering what could possibly take 3 minutes at a bank counter?  Really, people, this should be a quick in-and-out procedure, 2 minutes tops.  Five minutes later, she signs the counter note and then she decides to have a personal chat with the teller.  Cue for me to turn around and forget it.  Limping out I wonder at the rudeness of people.  It’s one thing to chat while you are conducting your business but to hold up a teller (or cashier, or receptionist, or whoever is the service person) when there are other people in line . . . well, I just don’t understand it.  It’s true, I am not the most patient person in a lineup at the best of times, but when one is in agony simply standing then social chitchat needs to give way.

But then, when I’m about my business its all about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment