Sunday, February 2, 2014

One Month In To 2014


It’s hard to believe that one month has already gone of this noble year.  In my own little life a lot has transpired. 
·         I’ve taken a fall down a ladder that has left me in a sad state of decay.
·         I’ve begun the transformation of a powder room into a “jewel box”
·         I’ve recommenced Spanish lessons
·         I’ve restarted my book club
·         I’ve started up the Lunch and Learns for Season 3 at work
And that’s just at the top of the list.  Small in world news but quite a heavy schedule for the first month – and this is only the part time work!  I’ve also started a new writing project, but more on that later!
Our first Lunch & Learn of the year talked about how to set goals, and to reset goals, and how to not be discouraged when goals or resolutions are not met.  We frequently make new year resolutions that peter out in a couple of weeks and it’s your job to reset your mental engine to overcome that feeling of depression and defeat.  It’s like the old adage when a child falls off the pony, you have to get back in the saddle.  However, I am not 100% convinced you are going to get a shaken child back on the pony.  For one thing, you are going to have to stop the wailing and screaming and you are going to have to assure yourself that the child hasn’t any broken limbs.  Rather hard to do when she’s kicking and screaming fit to kill.
Not that you, an adult, would feel like that when you stop going to the gym, now would you?  Inside, maybe just a little?  Hmmm.  Well, take a deep breath and remember why you set the goal in the first place.  Often it is not only about you and your well being, it’s also about caring for your family.  Re-evaluating the goal, the consequences of failing, the joys of success that may help you get back in the saddle.
At this point, I will be happy if my knee finally heals!  Now on to February!

No comments:

Post a Comment