Saturday, November 7, 2015

Light Reading


Just to keep myself from going over the edge reading all that theology I picked something easy to read for bedtime.  I had loaded the Complete Works of Frances Hodgson Burnett to Kindle several months ago (it was free) and the other day I chose Emily Fox-Seton as my “light read”.  I should have known that the author of “The Secret Garden” and “A Little Princess” would not be easy reading.  After all, I have seen Shirley Temple made into a little waif in a dreary attic and seen Margaret O’Brien as Mary Lennox walled up in house of the Secret Garden.  Dark things lurk for Emily Fox-Seton and oh my goodness but I was so afraid she was going to get “drownded”.  Sometimes children and young adult books are more exciting to read than adult books.  I’m not sure why but they seem to create higher suspense levels or maybe the characters are just so much more engaging that you care more about them. 

When I wonder the shelves at the book store I rarely find a book that truly catches my attention.  The covers all look very attractive but I don’t recognize the author’s name.  A title may sound intriguing, I will pick it up and read the cover synopses and usually I put the book back.  If it does sound interesting I will look at the first page and almost always I put the book down after reading a couple of sentences.  I can always tell. 
I enjoyed my book club because we were challenged to read books that others recommended and so I was introduced to new authors who have become favorites.  Another way I “discover” books is by watching the movie first (I know, I sound like a total helot.  Back when I was younger I would shudder when anyone said such an infamous thing!)  I read book reviews and sometimes that will get me to buy a book.  And a shocking confession, if Oprah recommends it I almost always will avoid it as I find her taste in books very depressing.  I have a lot of respect for Oprah but we do not share the same taste in books.  I can only read so many books on dying cancer patients and sexually abused people.
Back to Frances Hodgson Burnett’s books.  At the time when she wrote (circa 1880’s through 1920) the rags to riches style of story writing was extremely popular and most of her work is rather sentimental for today’s taste.  Despite the sentiment though the storylines are frequently quite suspenseful even though you know the outcome will always be “happily ever after”. 
Much better than what we get in Revelations but alas, back to my studies today.

No comments:

Post a Comment