Friday, November 13, 2015

Meditate or Vegetate


I’m happy to report that I have continued participating in the online meditation even though I had to play catch up when my system was down.  I’d like to share my experience with meditation.
At first I listened, closed my eyes at the correct time and tried to breathe deeply and keep my brain from wandering.  Some days were better than others.  On the fourth day I decided that while Oprah and Deepak spoke I would take a few notes so I could review them at the end of the meditation.  Then I closed my eyes, breathed, and wandered.  That experiment did not go very well as I seemed to wander more after taking the notes.  So I went back to my original practice and found that I could stay focused longer.
These practices are about 18 minutes long which may seem intimidating at first.  I reminded myself that I didn’t have anything better to do so just to sit tight and do it.  So all of this part is going find.
However, as long as I am staying at home I can think about the theme throughout the day but if I leave the house I generally find myself straying from a mellow frame of mind, particularly if I am driving any distance.  The good thing is that I can pull my mind back from the abyss before I get too caught up in negative thoughts.  So there is improvement there but not as much as one would like.
On the other hand, one shouldn’t be such a jelly fish of good will that we can’t honk our horn when someone literally cuts us off and drives us into the ditch.  There is reason in all things.  Happily I am alive to tell the tale!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment