Thursday, November 12, 2015

Offline Drama


While I was away yesterday we had not only a power outage but a satellite crash and today I am dealing with the fallout.  One would think I was talking about a missile strike but for anyone who is technically illiterate insofar as computer problems occur you will know how I feel.  It is a really sad state of affairs when we are so dependent on being connected with the universe and I am not talking about our Holy Father.
The good news about being unconnected is that those hours spent on email and social media (not to mention Internet Surfing) can be spent more profitably in actually writing.  Or so one hopes.
While looking through all my CDs to upload my computer repair I discovered my old photographs and negatives which I had forgotten all about.  It’s fortunate that I had put them deep in my desk as they were saved from the roof leaking last summer when we did the repair on the south side of the house.  I did find some collector stamps that were destroyed so I am very grateful that the negatives have all been saved.  Not only do I have all my own negatives from 50 years of photography but I also have my parents’ negatives.  Whew, my siblings won’t kill me.
This is an example of what happens to me when I am trying to settle down to “what I’m supposed to be doing”, I find myself sidetracked by oddities.  When I’m supposed to be writing I will research my statement (perhaps) and get sidelined online.  When digging for repair stuff I find nostalgia.  When I am purging I think “oh, well, I might just need that some day when there’s a war”.  But this last self-talk has been quashed and I have bravely thrown out “junk”.  Yes, it is junk.  There, I said it, junk.
So we went from the drama of online disconnect to junk.  Oh how the mighty brain does wander!

No comments:

Post a Comment