Wednesday, April 6, 2016

2016 First Quarterly Review


I cannot believe we are more than a quarter of the way through the year and my first thought as I write this statement is “oh no, I am not having a quality retirement because time is going to fast”.  Then a big breath and I use my meditation teachings “cut yourself some slack” and don’t panic.  Then I look at my blog listings, only 35 posts in 90+ days which seems deplorable.  Then I think, yes but aren’t you working on quality rather than quantity? 
On this small scale one can see how a person, family, business and so on can get into a vicious cycle of self blame and anxiety over not producing what one feels should be produced.  Then I hope that my poor Henriettas don’t understand a word I tell them when I go “produce, produce, produce”  or “production or the Colonel?” or “the competition has arrived, production is a priority”.  Since they continue pecking at grass and chase little bugs and feathers I believe they do not pay any attention to me except when I bring out the big red bowl (filled with bird seed).  Then I have their undivided attention and beware foot trippers!
Until I retired I honestly did not feel that I was putting very much pressure on myself but at lunch this past Sunday my girlfriends listened to me talk about the “Jumpstart Your thinking” book and when I told them I had purchased an appointment book so I could log my daily, weekly and monthly accomplishments they looked me in the eye and said “Sue, that’s a problem”.  I blushed but secretly I thought “I’m still going to do it”. 
But on the other hand I have done some really cool stuff over the past few months such as attending seminars on bee keeping, a mini workshop on writing, creating 2 archival scrapbooks of the family, completed a university course, read a pile of books, went on a bee keeping mission and today I started raising my second brood of chicks.  Not earth shattering stuff but it was all fun and rewarding and at all times I felt fully engaged in the task at hand.  And with all the built in fear of senility I think that is not bad for one pre-senior. 
Can we think up a cool word for that?  Pres?  Prez?  PreeCee?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment