Saturday, April 2, 2016

Book Reviews for the Month of March


I gobbled up two wonderful books this month, The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney.  The Goldfinch won the Pulitzer Prize and had me up late at night reading until my arm got sore from holding the book.  It’s a rather intense tale of a thirteen year old boy who suddenly finds himself an orphan.  There are undertones of Great Expectations I am told however I didn’t really find it terribly apparent as I didn’t ever have that feeling of dread which Dickens conveyed so well.  Nevertheless I enjoyed the book immensely but will warn readers that it is rather intense.
The Nest on the other hand is a much lighter book and while the characters (four siblings) are rather unlovable it was an enjoyable read.  I frequently found myself wondering what it would be like to anticipate an inheritance and whether I would fall into the trap these people almost galloped into.  I am not the type of person who spends what I don’t have so I would hope that I wouldn’t spend what I hadn’t inherited yet. 
In both books I found myself so immersed in the story that I really wanted to get into the book and strangle a few people . . . am I giving anything away?
I loved The Goldfinch so much that I went out and bought Ms. Tartt’s other books The Secret History and The Little Friend (both of which are rather different from The Goldfinch since they both involve murder and mystery; The Goldfinch is a straight youth novel with a twist).
More tomorrow on how I else I spent the month of March 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment