Friday, April 15, 2016

Nature is True


The other day I wrote about Mother Nature and ways to outfox her.  Today I just want to say how amazing she is when it comes to creating creatures.  In 2 weeks the chicks have already doubled in size and after only a couple of days they were sprouting feathers on their wings.  They drink and eat like giants and make me laugh whenever I enter the coop simply by the way they scurry from one spot to another in an attempt to hide from my Good Morning voice.
Meanwhile the kittens at 10 days old are still sleeping most of the day and their eyes remain closed.  They are about one fifth larger than the day of their birth but certainly they are not growing at any where need the speed of the chicks.  They are not at all conscious of anyone but their mother and each other and barely realize that I am lifting them up off the ground.
It’s remarkable that the chicks have never experienced motherly love as they were simply hatched under a light and then shipped off in a shoebox to me.  As my father used to say Nature can be cruel but Nature is true.  The mother cat is quicker than lightening as both my male cats have noticed but this morning a poor little chickadee also discovered it, too late.  I was shocked to turn around from our chicken chores to see Kitsy looking rather peculiar with something sticking out of either side of her neck, namely the bird.  It was useless to try to save the poor thing as she was pierced at neck and chest.  I just recalled those words of Dad’s and let it take its course.
But it made me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment