Thursday, April 14, 2016

90 Days of Thinking


I’ve finished the 90 days of thinking about thinking and I can still think, surprise, surprise. 
All kidding aside I have found the exercises valuable and effective.  “Jumpstart Your Thinking” started out with 21 days of preparing one for various ways of looking at thinking, work spaces, booklets and so forth.  Then the balance of days looked at various types of thinking all of which were listed on Day 5.  Big-picture, Focused, Creative, Realisitic, Strategic, Possibility, Reflective, Uncommon, Shared, Unselfish and Bottom-line thinking were building blocks on how to create and execute goals both personal and professional.  Sometimes I had to put myself on pause to really think through an exercise because I had to shift myself from a work based mindset to a personal goal mindset.
It was interesting to notice that the ideas in this book aligned frequently with the meditations I was doing at the same time.  My mother asked me the other day “do you think it is helping you in any way?” and I replied by saying “have I suggested the silver bullet lately?” which made her laugh.  She wondered why I was working at changing my thinking but when I started to explain she was precariously close to echoing her mother-in-law’s sentiment “I don’t want to bother my head with that” but she knew that would set me off big time.  I am always encouraging her to think outside the box and stop reading the same old magazines and books.  While there is nothing wrong with comfort reading I do think it is very bad for the mind to constantly go back over the same old ground.
I will echo the words of John C. Maxwell, the most vital type of thinking is most definitely positive thinking; if you can do that all the other types will easily fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment