Monday, May 7, 2012

Affirming what a great writer I am

Part of the 30-Day writing challenge includes making affirmations to one’s self.  Just like other great companies, becoming a writer means getting encouragement from one’s self as well as one’s peers, friends, coaches, and mother.  Every time I emerge from my office Mom asks me “so what did you write about this time” and waits with interest to hear what I have to tell her.  Sometimes I am vague but sometimes I speak with a twinkle in my eye as I repeat one of her own anecdotes.  I think that she likes it that I am writing her stories down.
      As with any type of art form, writing is very subjective so what one person likes to read is simply not another person’s cup of tea.  As a reader I prefer to read third person narrative rather than first person stories and yet I find myself writing in the first person most of the time now.  I notice with interest that there are so many people who publish books which tell their story, or their ideas and I think it is wonderful that people have an avenue to express themselves.
      In the Mary Kay world they always speak positively in their meetings.  The leaders do not allow negativity to enter their meetings, even if they secretly wish that the company hadn’t changed their foundation formulas or discontinued a certain colour of lipstick.  Like any corporate executive they tow the party line.  They encourage their consultants with the products available and Mary Kay is one of the most successful companies in terms of development and reward.  So I understand very well my writing coach sends out a message that we writers must affirm our abilities.  We shouldn’t say we are lousy, we shouldn’t even be modest when we speak of our writing.  We should give ourselves the old raa, raa encouragement just as though we were in a Mark Kay seminar.  So don’t be shocked by the title of this blog, not only am I giving myself permission to be boastful in encouragement, but I pass the lesson on to you!  We are all great at something.

No comments:

Post a Comment