Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Saying Thank You

Do you ever find yourself getting bristly instead of being gracious and saying thank you?  Twice in the last week I’ve been offered a seat on the bus which is really nice but inside I am wondering “do I really look so old and decrepit that I get first offer of a seat?”  Not that I have felt bristly or offended but it did make me think about how people accept favours.
       I think oftentimes we forget the gracious part of saying thank you.  Not just to say it, but to actually mean it and think about the kindness that went into whatever was offered.  Going home this evening I thought about the young girl who have up her seat for me and I thought that she must be well brought up and that her parents had done such an excellent job with her.  Last week when the gentleman give me his seat I thought how nice it was to have someone who had worked hard all day think about someone else. 
       As a consequence of these sacrifices I noticed that I was being less belligerent about the (still) crazy drivers on the road.  I thought “stupid” still but I didn’t get myself all excited about it.  Instead I thought, oh well, this is the way some people behave.  I’ve backed off, slowed down and given them extra space. 
You want in?  Go on in. 
You want to slow down now?  Not sure why but whatever. 
Am I a saint?  Not hardly.  But I am being mindful of the good things coming my way, I am being grateful for them because for sure, converting back to city transit could have been a whole different experience.  Instead I am being treated to so much goodness that I can hardly believe it.  No doubt I will get a taste of the rough stuff soon enough but at the moment, I am saying thanks and being gracious with that thanks.  At least, I hope so.
And a big thank you to my little sister for helping out today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment