Sunday, May 6, 2012

Weather Vanes of Change

Yesterday we had drizzling rain, mixed with snow, all day long and today the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the lawn is emerald green.  Gorgeous.  And I have to sit here all morning and attempt to write something meaningful while outside beckons temptingly to me.  But I am sticking with it, determined not to give in.
       I have met a number of people who changed direction in their careers later in life, some in their 30’s, their 40’s and even their 50’s.  I commend people who decide “no, I don’t want to be doing this for the rest of my life” and then find their dream job, or at least something they enjoy doing better.  Most people say that when they retire they will do this or that, but I think they seldom end up doing what they have so long dreamed about doing.  I certainly hope in my case that, one I won’t have to wait too long to retire and two, that I will have the proper habits to continue writing since this is what I want to do in my retirement.  Yes, the lightbulb has finally gone on for me and I realize that while I certain want to do other things as well, writing is my love and this is what I want to do in retirement.  Whether or not I will ever be published (and really, I shouldn’t even question that because if I really want this I can always self-publish) the writing is what is important.
       I recently got my raise but was told I didn’t get the average because I was again at the top of my band (the infamous, secret Mercer band HR loves to bandy about when discussing money).  As I had been expecting this I listened respectfully but I decided that expanding my career is going to have to happen outside of my current one.  If I have to “put skin in the game” let it at least be my own game. 
       And inside my head I thought “I gave myself more of a raise by giving up my parking than I am getting this year”.  C’est la vie.  We make our own luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment