Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Starting Over, Again

Even kids hate the sound of that phrase “starting over” but it is part of the story of life.  Whether it’s putting the building blocks in the right order when you are two or going back to Weight Watchers at 45, 55 and 65 these are things that are part of the experience.
      So where am I coming from this morning?  Well, I am thinking about all the things that seem to come back time and time again.  Diets, ad naseum, exercise regimens, sorting through pileups, changing jobs, and so on.  However, today I am starting over with a new 30 day writing challenge and that is exciting.  My coach is running a second 30 day writing challenge which I will take her up on.  My discipline petered out some time in February and it’s time to get back in the game.  Every morning I sit at the computer to write my blog but beyond that I have to admit it has been slim pickings.  It’s hard to feel creative when there are life pressures all around one, especially if you are trying to write positively about life.
      At work I’ve been asked to be a role model for our company values and of course I take it seriously.  So now I have to discourage negative thinking but first that means putting my own mind in a positive state.  I’ve done some soul searching, I’ve analyzed my situation both at work and at home, and my conclusion is that I have it pretty darn good.  Sure, there is always something a person can complain about but the bottom line about complaining is that no one really cares, complaining doesn’t fix anything and it only makes you feel crappy.  So why bother?  If you really have something to complain about, fix the problem rather than talk about it.  If you can’t or won’t fix the problem, then you better start looking at constructive ways of making your mental state positive.
      I wholeheartedly embrace Sarah Ban Breathnach’s statement “a gratitude journal is not an option, it’s a must”.  I was explaining this to my mother a couple of weeks ago.  When I write in my daily gratitude journal I always complete it with a feeling of satisfaction.  There’s a happy little glow inside me that lasts at least all morning and sometimes the whole day.  When I miss a day of writing down what I am grateful for I feel less complete, and less joyful.
      This morning, I’m grateful for a new writing challenge and a closer step to my goals.
      Oh yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment