Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oprah's Coming to Town

I happened to catch the news announcement this morning that Oprah will be coming to Calgary in January which I find very exciting even though the chances of me getting a ticket will be slim.  I checked it out on a website and there were a lot of comments, many of them talking about the cost of the ticket (which hasn’t been announced yet) and people bashing Oprah because of the cost and thinking she ought to donate the space in the Saddledome to homeless people.  Just how that makes any sense is something I don’t want to bother about.
       There is no question that Oprah has been one of the most influential women in America.  I have long respected her for her stepping away from the sensational and making her show more about empowerment and positiveness.  Is she flawed?  Of course, who isn’t?  But that doesn’t erase the wonderful things she has done to improve people’s hope and life.  Some of my favorite things about Oprah are her love of books and how she has encouraged many people to take up reading.  From this she has also helped countless authors with the sale of their books.  I also like her “Live Your Best Life” series, in her magazine, her show and her workshops.  She has brought so many life coaches to the forefront with this series who have helped countless people for almost three decades now.  I really like the way she believes in inspiring people to do their best and although I must admit that I’m a bit dubious about her school in South Africa when there are plenty of children in America who could use help; it’s still an admirable cause.  Sometimes people’s hearts take them to a different place.
       Oprah is so beloved by so many because she appears like a girlfriend.  She’s honest and open and “in the moment” when on stage.  It would be exciting to hear her live.

No comments:

Post a Comment