Friday, November 2, 2012

Uplifting

It can sometimes be an uphill climb, a climb all the way to Mount Everest, to get to that positive place that makes you feel as though you really are on top of the world.  It is easy to speak in clichés and quite simple to do the work, but to utterly believe in one’s own estimation of self can be a superhuman effort.  This is especially true when there are daily reminders that can quash self esteem.
       So while I am currently climbing the hill I take a look back and think about what Mother Nature has wrought these past few days on the East Coast.  What is a single person’s ego in comparison to the devastation thousands of people are facing right now due to a natural catastrophe?  I remind myself of an old friend’s comment “no one has died” in my scenario.  So putting things in perspective helps but it still doesn’t mean that I haven’t got to do the work to bring my self esteem up to an acceptable level.
       Self esteem is personal.  Climbing the hill is different for everyone.  Evaluating is where I am, which I suppose is a plateau.  I have to look at what is real, why am I feeling so low, is it my self-worth or am I trying to figure out what others may NOT be seeing in me?  It is a confusing process.  In the end though I have to question what is my expectation for myself and have I somehow let myself down.  I think this is a periodic stage for people as they go through the life cycles.  Painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment