Friday, November 9, 2012

Snowbound

It’s time to get out my copy of “The Long Winter” by Laura Ingalls Wilder since it is my tradition to read this notable book after the first blizzard of the winter.  This year I am blessed with the smells of home made bread and struedel as my mother works in the kitchen.  What a contrast to the subsistence fare the Ingalls had during that bleak winter of 1880-81.  Between this book and “Gone with the Wind” I stock up my groceries in the winter months.
       I’m currently looking out the window, on the watch for the snow plow, in the hopes that he will assist me in scraping out the bottom portion of my snow filled driveway.  Better yet, I just called the MD and they will help me out some time this weekend.  So now I can snuggle in and watch “Matador” with my mother.  This is an old mini-series from Denmark which chronicles the life of a small town after WWI and into WWII.  It is one of the most beloved series in Danish television history and for good reason.  The quality of the writing is even better than that of some of the best of Masterpiece Theatre.  In fact, I wish they would put English translation on the bottom as they do with foreign films.  Although I can understand most of what is said, the dialect is different from my own and they speak so much faster than we slow Aalborgenser I sometimes find myself guessing at what was said.  But in any event, that is my surprise for my mother today since she’s been hounding me to watch it with her (again). 
       I hope everyone is safe and sound today and has something interesting to do at home. My drive home last night was very treacherous and I saw a number of vehicles spun out in the ditch along the way.  I was glad I left a few minutes early yesterday.  By the time I reached Cayley the visibility was only about 10 feet ahead.  Nasty weather.  Stay Safe My Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment