Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 Countdown Begins

I’m assembling my thoughts and trying to realize that 2012 has gone by even faster than 2011.  It is very disconcerting to feel that life is pelting by at an increasingly rapid rate with only a big black hole to look forward to.  That does sound grim but whatever may or may not be “on the other side” from this side it just seems to be a big black hole.  When someone dies there is a hole in the family and even if we believe that they are in heaven, in a better place, or resting for the resurrection, on this side of the veil that space is empty.
       Rather than think about the rolling stone into that pit of nothingness, I will direct my thoughts to what to do on the trip we call life.  It seems to me that at this late stage it is more critical than ever to really enjoy every single minute of every single day because we don’t have that much time left.  I think about the nearly 60 years of my life and wonder “where did it go” and “what have I done with my life” and feel an awful sense of fright.  Then I breathe deeply and think sensibly that to simply enjoy life, learn something new as often as possible (because every day is ideal but is it real?) and just be the best person I can possibly be is what should count.  The hole that I leave behind might be very small indeed but it will still be a hole and I at least want people to smile and be happy when they think about me.
       It is trite to say that life goes by too fast but even though we have heard it a hundred times before we hardly ever do much about it.  The truth is that we are often trapped in our life, in that ever turning cog of routine and unfortunately it is not practical to leave that routine.  For those who take the leap of faith and go with their passion I have great admiration even though I may gasp in dismay “how will they survive”?  Amazingly, they do.  We all have a path we tread and however we may walk it, I surely hope that all are enjoying life as much as possible. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment