Saturday, December 29, 2012

Recapping 2012

Let’s recap the year – because it’s so much fun for me even if my readers don’t care. 
January – Blog reaches 10,000 hits, grand plans to do dedicated articles which lasted less than a month but caused me to reflect a great deal on philosophy, ideas, and moral complexities.
February – My six word memoir “I continue to learn, evolve, share” was born; the first of my girlfriends retired and I’m inspired to live up to my memoir by learning more, evolving more and sharing my life with friends.
March – Another trip to NYC, first Broadway play “Wicked”; NDP leadership race begins and I participate in the process, reviving my dormant interest in politics.
April – Mother moves in and my life turns upside down.  I learn what it’s like to live with someone after a solitary life of 26 years.  It means being waited on hand and foot and recognizing that I can be as selfish as my father.  It also means that I see my mother anew, I see her aging and yet valiantly continuing to do many of the things she has always done.  I see a mother who is ever balanced, unselfish, diplomatic and true. 
May – Annual long weekend in B.C., missing one of the girls but we still drink our way through countless wineries, shop at all the gardening centres and blissfully enjoy the view from Marie’s balcony.  Rose and I commiserate with our dear friend on the homeward trip as she gets unwelcome news about property lines.  This too shall pass, we say.  And it will.
June – Sun deck project begins; thinking about my next ‘round’ birthday; summer holiday with my mom in the sunshine.  Once again I appreciate my mother as we sip our morning coffee on the deck, as we paint our garden furniture, as family stops by to visit with Mom and say “oh hi to you too Sanne”.
July – Learning the 2-step and surviving Stampede, I am reminded that I normally take this week off because the crowds are beyond belief.  This is the 100th anniversary of the Stampede and the city is bursting at the seams.
August – Dog days of summer, Retirement 301 and losing steam; watching my great nephew Scott frolic in the yard.
September – First trip to Lake Huron with my sister which was a really wonderful experience and made me wonder why I had never gone there before (and my sister lent me one of her cameras which takes really great pictures, she keeps telling me I CAN afford to buy one). I meet my second great nephew Stanley for the first time. I also gamble for the first time, losing $36 and feeling wretched about being sucked in.  But then we walk along Niagara Falls and I enjoy the beauty for the countless time.
October – Celebrate Mom, full steam ahead on Social Club at work, writing a romance novel but quickly get stalled by other activities.
November – Chester is born with the aid of his grandmother (aka Jeanette the Midwife), great nephew number 3; Wine Tasting and nights out with girlfriends.  I enjoyed walking the Calgary streets at night with Christmas lights everywhere.
December – It was a month of social and charitable activities both at work and at home with Adopt-a-Family, Team Building in Banff, Secret Santas, Cookie Exchanges, and socializing with family and friends.  It was also the month where I did some personal evaluation and decided to make some big changes.  Revelations to come in 2013, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment