Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Time

Mom and I have a busy day ahead of us since we have junk piled up everywhere, boxes of gift bags, wrapping paper and ribbon, gifts stashed in the office, and heaven only knows what the other junk consists of, but it all means a day of wearing several sweatbands, running up and down the basement stairs and of course getting distracted rather than focusing on one task at a time.  In all of this hustle and bustle we also have to do the tasks that the Games Master (also known as my nephew Christopher) requires of us.  This causes Mom particular stress as it involves writing and she declares that she cannot write, both literally and figuratively speaking.  So this means that I will have to write for both of us, sometime today.
       But there’s no doubting it, I love it.  There’s a lot of talk about stress during the Holiday Season but I don’t feel it unless I am forced into a mall.  Since I am extremely organized about my gift buying that isn’t likely to happen so for me, all’s good.  As I sit here drinking my coffee and typing away Thumper is sniffing at a gift and pulling at the corded ribbons on a gift for my niece.  These are special little moments that I will capture with Mother’s hair – I mean camera.
       Ah, to explain, as we were driving to my sister’s house yesterday we both exclaimed “I forgot my camera” and Mom wondered why it was we always seemed to forget them.  I said it was because she was too busy worrying about her hair and that from now on, instead of thinking about her hair she should automatically say camera.  Mom laughed.  When we got to the house everyone was exclaiming at what a fashionista she was as she had put on the glitz for the party.  Then Charlotte commented on house nice the perm had turned out and Mom looked guiltily at me and then began to talk about Her Camera.  We couldn’t stop laughing.
       Being busy with this type of stuff, cleaning house, getting down to the details, makes me happy.  I don’t stress about things like this, and I don’t stress about buying the perfect gift (ask my brother-in-law).  Our family are not the kind to go overboard with spending, we do our best to find something we will like and if not we can just laugh about it and ask ‘what were you thinking’?  I was speaking with a colleague and I was stunned at the amount of money she typically spends on her family (in the range of $3,000 – just for gifts).  Holy Dinah, I might spend $300 if I am going all out – and that was in the day when I bought for 9 nieces & nephews and 5 siblings, plus parents.  Holy cow, no wonder some people stress out. 
       Thinking about that this morning I reflect that the whole point of this day is to embrace our fellow man and feel the love and joy, with the hope of keeping it throughout the year.  Lest I sound sanctimonious believe me when I say “the hope” as I lecture myself every morning while driving to work with these words “Now, going home, just stay calm, don’t get annoyed by all the idiot drivers out there, just stay calm, stay in the right hand lane and just keep the pace, no speeding or losing patience.”  I am perfectly committed to that cause until some maniac makes it impossible for me to keep my resolve.  Let me not digress, instead, let me wish my friends, family and readers a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment