Saturday, December 15, 2012

All I Want for Christmas -- is Peace on Earth


Thinking about my high school experience can make me smile, it makes me wonder about myself and it creates a lot of curiosity about my fellow classmates.  Unless I was crushing on some boy my interest in my classmates was pretty limited to those in my immediate circle.  I never have been a very gossipy type of person (all evidence to the contrary?) and if one really studies a teenager you know that they are the most self-centred of creatures.  High school journals are filled with the I-word and the unsaid belief that the world completely revolves around the I. 
       I had begun this article yesterday morning before the shocking tragedy that occurred in Connecticut yesterday and so my focus changes.
I just feel like I want to send up a prayer message to the sweet, innocent young children and the dedicated teachers who were killed by a lunatic.  My eyes are filling up with tears as I think about these people who will not get to fulfill their, potential, hopes, dreams and live their lives to the fullest.  Five years old, my heart breaks for these babies who won’t even go to Grade One.  Six, Seven, Eight, all the recesses, the agony over tests, the excitement of learning something new in gym class, of mastering the hurdles, singing Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas . . . Is You”.  Oh my goodness but that makes me want to cry!
       School dances, school crushes, American history including the Revolution and learning all about that little number The U.S. Constitution and the 2nd amendment’s right to bear arms.  These little ones certainly know all about the consequences of that amendment. The original purpose of the amendment was to protect you and your society, small as it was but today it is apparently to protect one’s self from society.  But these children were too young to know such fine nuances of logic, tongue in cheek.
       I’m not forgetting the adults who were also killed, untimely, cruel deaths for people who have dedicated their careers to educating and caring for children.  With the rest of the sane world I am utterly sick with grief for these incomprehensible murders.

No comments:

Post a Comment