Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Journey Thus Far

I was reviewing the beginning of this year and all my bright ideas for the monthly “theme” and December was the recap month (of course).  2012 has been a little off kilter for me with my mother moving in with me as well as me holding back on my travel plans.  It seems as though many projects stalled without much in the way of explanation.  Except, I am tired.
       Yesterday morning I ran into one of my colleagues on the street corner and he was grinning ear from ear.  I gave him a big hug and asked him how he was feeling about this being his last week before retirement although it was quite obvious that he was happy as a lark.  How I envy him although both of us realize that when we say our final goodbyes we know that it will end our social life as we know it.  When I think of retirement the biggest reason for it is the end of commuting, getting up at 4 in the morning and feeling as though there is no life outside of work.  I guess that’s 3 things however work itself is not the problem.  I enjoy my boss, my work, my team and the events of the day.  But frequently I find myself saying “I’m tired” so I know it’s approaching that time when I need to stop doing what I am doing and find something else.
       The journey thus far?  Well, it is a journey and as I have written several times this year, we are the unsung heroes of our country by simply getting up every morning and trucking it off to work regardless of what the job may be.  We even have our theme song courtesy of Dolly Parton – Working 9 to 5 . . . hey there’s something out of whack with those numbers?

No comments:

Post a Comment