Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Organizing a Reunion, or a Trip to Banff


It’s that time of year where I look anxiously towards clearing my calendar so I can get on with the next project.  This winter I took on a few extra “mini projects” at work which have really taken up a lot more time than I anticipated so I really feel as though I am behind the eight ball now.  It’s pretty sad when a person actually starts to hope for Christmas to be over!

       Looming ahead of me is the big 60th Birthday Bash for my high school class.  I need to make some time to start telephoning classmates to get confirmation on their plans.  That’s always the biggest challenge with whatever event is coming up, getting commitment.  When it comes to buying and preparing food, no problem.  Arranging events, music, space, no problem, I’ve got it covered someway.  But ensuring that people show up, that’s a huge challenge.  Unless you say the magic words “we are going to Banff” because for some reason when that rumours flies around in our office suddenly there are people showing up in my office that I’ve never heard of before. 

“I worked for your team.” 

“Really, when?”

“In 2007, I tied Torger’s shoelaces once.” 

“Really, how tall was Torger?” 

“He was a 6 foot Norwegian.” 

“Ah, well nice try but no cigar, sweetheart.” 

I love it when I can say stuff like that.  Yeah, people come out of the woodwork when you go to Banff.  Coming to Nanton, well that’s a different kettle of fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment