Sunday, September 4, 2011

Energy 101



Let me say right off the bat that I don’t have the answer to Energy, at least not the complete answer. I do know, however, that having interests to keep a person busy is a key ingredient in having energy in your life. When I read biographies I find that the subject has led an interesting life because they have passion for what they are doing but as a rule they also have other interests to occupy their time.


I’m not lacking in interests but I have a very unusual “condition” which I seem to have inherited from my dad. When I work on a project I like to see the finish line ahead of me. So if I take out my paints I would like to have the project finished over the weekend so I can pack up the gear and not have it lying around. And that is just plain wrong. You cannot make a great painting in a couple of days. I seem to like biting off more than I can chew when it comes to hobbies. I have that “excessive” gene of my dad’s where everything has to be bigger and better just because! So when I planned this weekend I had the idea that I would overhaul the house completely forgetting that I don’t have the same strength or energy level that I had in my 30’s or even 40’s. I feel slightly downcast – only slightly because I recognize my problem and know that I can take a little chunk at the time and get it done by end of September. No longer will the cleanup be done over a long weekend. That’s just the way it is.


Letting myself off that hook also allows me to focus on another task while I am “resting”. I’ve got several books handy and I will peruse them to outline new subject matters for me to write about. I really think it is important to remind oneself of the philosophy “one day at a time”. As an eager beaver myself I know that it can be disheartening when you can’t get it all done at once so having the reminder front and centre ought to help us keep focused and to not be discouraged. I find myself straining at the leash just thinking the words “one day at a time”. Oh dear, life is such a challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment