Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Golf in the Fall, and other stories



Our company had a golf tournament yesterday which turned out to be one of the best days of the fall, sunny and warm, with a slight breeze to keep us cooled down. The course had been groomed so it looked terrific but once we started whacking the balls around it was interesting to try to find them under the cover of leaves. It is really amazing how quickly the balls disappeared! I haven’t golfed much but I have to say this was the first time I lost so many balls simply because they disappeared – out in the open!


Speaking about things disappearing, don’t you absolutely hate it when someone takes your print job back to their desk as part of their bundle and never bothers to return it to the print room? I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me in recent weeks. Lazy? Ignorant? Stupid? Ill mannered? I don’t know what to call these people so I just bite my lips or curse under my breath. Has it happened to me, that I’ve taken someone else’s? Of course, and I march right back to the room and drop the papers off. More often, however, I will go through the documents right at the printer to ensure that I’m not taking away unwanted stuff. But there appear to be certain people who think that only their work is important and others can simply go in the garbage bin. Let me tell you, fur would fly if I ever discover the culprit!


Etiquette in the work place sure has gone downhill. When I first began working, way back when, we were still called Miss Smith and Mr. Jones. We had formal coffee breaks in a cafeteria with coffee in real mugs. No one would dream of taking something off your desk without your permission. At the end of the day everyone’s desk was tidy and clean of paper, everything stored inside the desk.


Paperless office? I laugh. I’ve never seen so much paper since the invention of the computer. My project today is to straighten out my boss’s office so that her piles have sharp corners! At least it will be a task that I can manage after two sleepless nights!


No comments:

Post a Comment