Friday, September 9, 2011

Motivation, Momentum and Big Brakes



I’ve had terrific momentum in the exercise program and my writing program but last night I got the big brake job when my brother showed up to finish putting up the screen door. Such is life.


Did I let it stop me though? I was still energized from the night before so I did the work with Erik and then went back to my workshop writing! I have developed my mantra:


If I succeed, I keep writing


If I fail, I keep writing


Whether I feel interested or bored, energized or tired, encouraged or discouraged


I keep writing!




We’ll see how successful this mantra is as the weeks progress but as I have it posted all over my office I think I should get a good kick in the pants whenever I walk in here!


I checked out a couple of other writer’s blogs (good lord, my heart nearly stopped beating. I am hearing footsteps on the roof above my head and I immediately have visions of Nightmare on Elm Street or those other gruesome movies. I hope to heaven it is that big orange cat I’ve been seeing lurking around the neighbourhood. It’s much too heavy to be the magpies that I usually hear - shiver). Back to the writers blogs; I was pleased to note that I have been much more regular with my writing than they have. True they’ve written a book and I haven’t but what the heck! This is about the momentum and motivation (and now I hear a band of coyotes singing, that’s probably why the cat is up on the roof; smart cat. Thumper and Cherie will be staying in today)


A few days ago I wrote about the fact that I hadn’t seen as much Nature as usual and here it is 4:10 a.m. and my heart has been bouncing around with scare after scare! Never a dull moment in the countryside! So what was my point regarding motivation and momentum? If a person has the motivation to do something then the work can be done and a momentum can be created by being consistent in their habits. So every morning I make my coffee and toast and sit here in the office and try to think of something interesting to write about to keep my followers happy. But also to keep me in the habit of writing. Stephen King in his book “On Writing” says what many other writers (including one of the blogs that my classmate posted a while back) say, write, write, write. If you want to consider yourself a writer you must be writing every day, or at least consistently (and that doesn’t mean once a year). The Bronte sisters wrote all the time, from tiny tots onwards and just look at what they gave to literature! My coach is pushing us onwards with her 30 day challenge.


Good habits can be as hard to break as bad ones so set out to create the good ones. After all, today is another day!


While looking for a picture of a coyote I saw one of a poor, emaciated one and that image will be with me all day. Nature can be cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment