Thursday, September 8, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine



Reader’s Digest has a regular section titled “Laughter is the Best Medicine” which has a number of humours anecdotes. Last night I had a teleconference with my writing coach and a meditation expert (Pragido Dove) talking about laughter meditation as part of our writing process. Let me tell you that it was the most interesting experience I’ve had in a very long time. Imagine that laughing for 30 seconds and then being silent in meditation for 30 seconds could bring about a positive vibration that lasted for the rest of my evening (another 90 minutes before lights out) and even as I lay in bed waiting for sleep I felt fantastic. Not only did my body feel wonderful but I could really feel positive energy in the room. It was remarkable.


Now we’ve all heard that laughing is good medicine, that it can release a lot of tension in our body and make us feel better. My family has a great sense of humour and we laugh a lot when we get together so I never thought to actually try laughing alone and then begin a meditation. I will tell you right now – try it. What can it hurt? The sensation is something you will never forget and will want to embrace again and again.


Are you afraid of the meditation process? All I did last night was close my eyes when Pragido instructed us to and just breath. I hardly had a chance to think about anything (and that is good because you are supposed to NOT think during meditation). I was sitting on the floor doing the laugh and then the meditation as I do think that is the best way to feel loose and relaxed. You can start with just 30 seconds but you can do a one minute, five minute, and so on up to as much as you like but you should do an equal amount of the laugh and the meditation. To start the laughing process, in case you find it hard to do, you can stand up with arms raised above your head and shout yahoo three times and then begin to laugh which makes it easier. Who can resist laughing at one’s own actions? I was simply sitting on the floor and shouted out the yahoos which worked great for me.


Go to www.discovermeditation.com and from there Pragido has a link to Laughing Buddist Network which is free to join. I am not a guru after my little session last night but let me tell you I AM A BELIEVER. I have never felt so wonderfully POSITIVE. After the teleconference I did my little writing practice and it was all about the conference and how positive I felt. What I’ve written this morning is brand new – that is how enthusiastic I am.


Karen thank you for a life altering experience! You are the most amazing writing coach ever. Check Karen out at www.frontroweseat.com





When I'm happy the butterflies come out!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Susanne! So glad to hear it held some value for you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is good enough to make somebody understand this amazing thing, and I’m sure everyone will appreciate this interesting things. Rush購買

    ReplyDelete