Monday, July 30, 2012

A Spoonful of Sugar

Mom was reading over my shoulder yesterday and her next comment on the blog title “what about a spoonful of sugar”?
       Tonight Mom looks really tired, she had been doing all kinds of laundry, housekeeping, handholding and sitting in the sun to the point that she looked very bedraggled.  As she sat there on the sofa I said
“Mom, go to bed early tonight, you look tired.”
“It’s my hair, it drags me down.” And she pulled it up out of her eyes.  I couldn’t help but laugh and then I said “well, stop that now.”
But it is true that a woman never feels her best when her hair looks like a scarecrow’s.  I make it a rule to never look at myself once I’ve got my hair done to my satisfaction.  Do not look in a mirror for the rest of the day because if I don’t look as good as when I left the house I will be destroyed.  I will make bad decisions.  I will get cranky.  I will hang up on people.  So do not look in the mirror. And people, whatever you do, don’t tell me by word, look or deed that I am not looking my best.  I will be devastated! 
And calling all men – whatever you do, don’t be honest with your wife.  At all costs, avoid the subject of hair with your wife.  I know my father tiptoed around the subject as much as possible.  My mother hardly ever got mad, angry or upset, but we were all extremely careful around her when a party was in the offing. 
Hair is a sensitive topic in our house.
Right now I am not in the same room with my mother.  I talked about hair.
My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment