Thursday, July 26, 2012

What About Pepper?


My mother was looking over my shoulder and noticed the title of my blog and her comment was “what about pepper?”  There are moments when she is just like a mischievous little kid, like when she asked “is it gone” and then crossed her eyes in an attempt to check her nose for the blood spot.  Yesterday we had made an agreement that we would walk after supper but both of us forgot about it.  She remembered it as she lay in bed but she could hear me snoring away and thought she would be merciful and let me continue sleeping.  Thank you mother!

       My mother will frequently revert to stories about her youth and once in a while a new one will crop up that I either haven’t heard before or had forgotten about.  The other day she told a story about her sister that I hadn’t heard before.  She said that her father asked which of them was the strongest and got them started being aggressive with each other but my mother knew what he was up to and let her sister win.  She said “I’m not a fighter” which is an understatement!

       Last night her grandson came for a visit and made the comment that his grandmother is the sweetest, kindest person he has ever known.  I’m surprised that Mom didn’t burst into tears, as she is not used to compliments.  We are more of a teasing kind of family, where we trade off insults, such as me calling her “high maintenance” when she asks for the tiniest thing.  I know she knows that I’m kidding her but I supposed it would be nice to give her a kudo once in a while. 

       I gave her the night off; she is watching Coronation Street while I did the dishes and I told her “I hope I remember how” as I haven’t done a dish since she moved in.  And I say this without blushing. Mom takes pride in doing the dishes immediately after a meal even though I tell her once per day is enough, especially when her hands are getting so rough.  I suspect that having them in the hot water must help with her arthritis so I don’t argue too long with her.

       Animals love her and will invariably choose her to mooch off before anyone else in the room.  Today Dexter came over and looked up with those little brown eyes “walk please, walk please, now, now, now” and Mom couldn’t resist despite already having gone for a walk with me.  Out came the leash and Dexter pranced off with her for his afternoon constitutional.  I watched in amusement as Mom tried to keep up with this tiny little Yorkshire terrier.  What a picture, I wondered which was more loyal, the dog or the good wife?

No comments:

Post a Comment