Sunday, July 1, 2012

Book Reviews

I miss my book club which is currently on a sabbatical because now I cannot discuss my thoughts on the various books I’ve been reading.  So my blogging fans are in for it today!  (Plus I’m cooling down from over exerting myself playing lumberjack).
       Lately I read Geraldine Brooks “March” and “Caleb’s Crossing” back to back.  I loved these books as much as her previous 2 books “Year of Wonders” and “People of the Book”.  I particularly liked Year of Wonders and Caleb’s Crossing as I felt as though I were in the 17th century with the characters.  The author is meticulous in her research and seems to submerse herself in the era as few current writers seem to be able to do.  Caleb’s Crossing is based on a true story of one of the first native Americans to graduate from Harvard.  While I was aware that there was a concentrated effort at evangelizing the natives I had no idea that there was an effort to have them educated to the level of a college education.  Not surprisingly there was a lot of exploitation in the endeavour.  I enjoyed the various aspects of this book and recommend it as a good read whether you like history or not.
       I am a big fan of Thomas H. Cook as well.  His mysteries are always suspenseful and I read on with trepidation as I await the surprise ending.  I first discovered Cook when I picked up a copy of The Chatham School Affair which was really a surprise ending for me.  I think I have read every one of his books and I always feel nervous yet satisfied upon reading them.  Currently reading “The Last Talk with Lola Faye” and half way through I still am not prepared for what may be revealed.  Cook also co-authored “Taken” which is one of my favorite mini-series and introduced Dakota Fanning to audiences.
       What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment